Back pain can be more than just a nuisance; it’s a daily challenge that affects quality of life, mobility and overall happiness. Physiotherapy can offer treatment that addresses the root cause of the problem. Let’s explore how this science-backed practice can help you relieve back pain.
1. Understand and Address the Root Cause of Your Back Pain
Understanding the “why” behind your back pain can be the first step towards an ongoing solution. Whilst this may be the ideal goal, it is not always possible or even required in order to gain control of your back pain, and is why the term ‘Non-specific Low Back Pain’ is a recognised and medically accepted term to describe some presentations of back pain. That aside, physiotherapy can help head you in the right direction along your path to recovery by:
- Identifying the Cause: At Coffs Physiotherapy and Backcare, our Physiotherapists always do a thorough assessment and examination to determine the underlying cause of your back pain, which may in fact be distant from where the pain is felt! For example your back pain may be due to overload on the spine from a secondary issue – such as a stiff arthritic hip placing more stress and strain on the lumbar spine when you are walking. Other times, the pain may be driven by hypersensitivity or ‘central sensitisation’ of the nervous system.
- Treatment Plans: Our Physiotherapists always use a ‘whole-body approach’ when assessing the cause of back pain, ensuring that where identified, the treatment provided targets the core of the problem, hence not just giving temporary relief but aiming for a long-term solution.
2. Strengthen Your Core to Support Your Back
Your core is the bedrock of your body’s stability and strengthening it is an important aspect of physiotherapy for longer term pain relief. Here’s how physiotherapy can help:
- Core Stability: A strong core [including pelvic floor] reduces the burden on your back, providing stability and reducing the risk of injury or ongoing pain.
- Exercise Regimens: Our Physiotherapists can guide you through specific exercises that target and strengthen the correct deep abdominal and pelvic floor muscles, critical in supporting your spine.
3. Improve Your Posture for Long-Term Relief
Standing tall isn’t just about looking confident—it’s about feeling good, too. Proper posture is a cornerstone of back health and physiotherapy can help you in achieving it. Our Physiotherapists can guide you towards a posture that prevents pain and promotes well-being:
- Restoring mobility: Tight muscles, stiff joints can be an underlying reason for your slouched shoulders or rounded back. During our thorough assessment, these problems will identified, and included in your management program.
- Ergonomic Strategies: Receive tailored advice on arranging your daily environment to support your back.
- Customised Posture Correction: Learn exercises specifically designed to realign your spine and correct imbalances.
Armed with professional guidance and practical know-how, you’ll be equipped to keep your back in great shape, making correct posture a habit that sticks.
4. Enhance Flexibility and Mobility Through Stretching
Flexibility and mobility are important in managing back pain, serving as your body’s natural defence against the stiffness and discomfort that can disrupt your life. Physiotherapy promotes this goal by incorporating stretching routines into your treatment plan. These routines are designed not just to alleviate current pain but to enhance your overall range of motion, making you less prone to future injuries.
5. Education as a Tool for Pain Relief and Injury Prevention
Our Physiotherapists offer more than just physical treatment, by providing valuable education on managing back pain and preventing future injuries. Understanding the causes and mechanics of pain, you’re empowered to make informed decisions that enhance your overall health and well-being. We aim not only to help you understand body mechanics, but also empower you to take control of your own health through education on self-care strategies.
Take Control of Your Back Pain with Physiotherapy
If you’re grappling with back pain and looking for a way forward, consider the benefits of physiotherapy. With a focus on education, individualised care and a commitment to long-term health, our Physiotherapists at Health on High strive to address your back pain problems. For those in Coffs Harbour seeking physiotherapy, reach out to us today.